Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Ainsley's Big Girl Room Remodel


Kids rooms are my favorite to decorate. They are so fun, and so easy to incorporate colors and fun patterns into. After completing Gunner's room, I knew I had to update Ainsley's space too while I was on leave. Her room was just bland and I wasn't loving it. 

Here is what it looked like before I started:


And here is the after: 


A few episodes of Fixer Upper, and seeing this amazing comforter designed by Joanna Gaines, got my wheels turning and inspired me to make some simple changes! I eventually want to put crown molding around the top of her walls for extra oomph, but that will have to wait until little man gets a little older and doesn't require my attention 24/7. 



I started by painting a white accent wall. It was easy and simple, and made a bold statement in her room. These shelves were a DIY project. I got all of the supplies at Walmart for under $25 and took less than 20 minutes to make. I will post a tutorial soon for those who would like to make them!



I almost wasn't going to use this chalkboard, because it is so big, but then it occurred to me that it probably has more functionality than just being a piece of decor. I had C hang it so that Ainsley could use it to draw on, and I think you can see how much she is enjoying it! 


Almost everything about her room is second hand, down to the comforter. I was able to find it new without tags, for much cheaper than retail on a Matilda Jane Buy, Sell, Trade site. Also, to make it less expensive, I used my own shams. The white quilted shams I had from a previous comforter we bought. The blue pillowcases were less than $5 at Walmart. We already had the black stripe and tan birth stats pillow, so that meant all we had to purchase were the 2 pink ones for $10 each. 


Her bed frame I actually bought on a yard sale site and it was originally white. I knew I wanted the frame to be black to pop against the wall I painted white, so I bought two cans of black spray paint and spruced it up! Her monogram was also something we already had left over from her baby nursery. I had been holding onto it not sure what I wanted to do with it and finally decided to repaint it and hang it back up once I saw how dainty her comforter was! 


Her room is pretty small, and with her bed being a full, it takes up a lot of space. This girl loves to dress up, so I bought this child size coat rack at Home Goods a few months ago, and painted it to match her room and hung all of her dress up clothes on it. Love the little pop of color it adds to her room. You can see the original post for the  $20 dress up center here

Items List:

Bed: Yardsale
Dresser: Yard Sale
Chandelier: Overstock.com
Floating Nightstand: DIY Project
Chalkboard: Yardsale 
Curtains: Pottery Barn Kids
Unicorn Head: Target
Book Ledge: DIY
Dress Up Center: Home Goods
Table and Chairs: IKEA
Pillows: Walmart, Target, Parris Chic Boutique

We have been hard at work the last few weeks doing some house projects! Cannot wait to share more with you soon! 


No comments:

Post a Comment