Sunday, May 28, 2017

Gunner's Birth Story


Gunner is 7 weeks today, and it has taken me this long to sit down and write out his birth story. Not because I didn't want to, but because having two kids has kept me on my toes! Luckily daddy is watching Gunner for a bit so I can type it all out. 

Sunday, April 2, 2017. 

Chris was gone out of town all weekend, about a 3 hour drive away. I had been having contractions a lot but I thought they were just braxton hicks. On Sunday, I decided to download an app on my phone to time them. Sure enough they were coming every 4-5 minutes and lasting 1-2 minutes. I decided to lay down and drink some water and see if anything changed. It didn't. So I made a phone call to L&D where they advised me to come in for monitoring to see what was going on. I called Chris and told him I was on my way to the hospital to be monitored and that he should probably go ahead and head back into town just incase anything happened. I was only 34 weeks 3 days at the time, and I wasn't anticipating having a baby that early. 

Once we got to the hospital they got me hooked up to the monitors and told me I was indeed having contractions but that they weren't "progressing" me as my cervix was still closed. The Dr. decided to do a Fetal Fibronectin swab, which has a 99% accuracy rate of telling them if you will go into labor within 2 weeks. This test came back negative, and since I was not dilated they decided to give me two shots of terbetuline (not sure how it is spelled) to help stop the contractions. After a couple of hours, the contractions finally slowed down to about 5 an hour. They released us to go home, and put me on bed rest for a few days. 



I took a couple of days off work the next week so that my contractions could calm down. I kept having them but they were not frequent or as painful so I didn't worry too much. On Saturday, April 8th, we had my baby shower. While I felt fine, I had a few little contractions, but mainly the swelling in my feet was unbearable. 


That night we went home and were exhausted. We even let Ainsley sleep in our bed and didn't even bother bringing the gifts in from the car. 

Sunday, April 9th, 2017.

I was awoken about 7 am. with strong cramps. I decided I was too tired to move and rolled over to try to get more comfortable. I felt a gush but thought I must have just peed on myself. I finally got up to use the restroom and noticed the fluid just kept coming and that it had a pink tint to it. I woke Chris up and told him I was sure my water broke and we needed to go to the hospital. I have never seen someone get out of bed so fast in my life. About 30 minutes after I woke up and we were on our way to the hospital my contractions started becoming intense, where I had to breathe through them. They were about 5 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute. All I could think was how clearly that swab that they did on me the week before was not 99% accurate because here I was only a week later, in active labor. Once we got to the hospital my mom had met us to take Ainsley home and wait for news on what was going to happen. I wasn't sure if they were going to deliver the baby, or admit me and try to keep him in a few more days, since I was only 35 weeks and 3 days. I was dilated to a 1 and the test confirmed my water had broken. Within 20 minutes of getting to the hospital my Dr., who luckily was the one on call that weekend, came in and said we were having a baby in about an hour. They prepped us on what would happen if the baby did need extra support, the anesthesiologists came in and made sure we were ready to go. It was less than an hour from the time we arrived at the hospital, to the time they were wheeling me back for the spinal. As they were wheeling me back I started having intense back labor contractions and was so ready for the spinal. The anesthesiologist was having the hardest time getting my spinal to take. After 45 minutes, and him telling me he was going to try one last time and if it didn't work I was either going to have to do an epidural, or be put to sleep, it finally took. At 11:19 a.m. we welcomed Gunner to the world, weighing exactly what his sister did, 6 pounds 14 ounces, and 20 inches long. He was perfect. He had no issues, and we were so relieved he was not going to need any Nicu time.



I was thrilled when I saw how much dark hair he had. I kept telling everyone how I hoped he would have a head full of dark hair, and he did! 




After 3 nights, 4 days in the hospital, we got to come home and start life as a family of 4. Even though this little guy came quickly and suddenly, we couldn't be happier that we got to meet him over a month early. 



Welcome to the world Gunner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment