Sunday, January 22, 2017

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup


The last few weeks, we have eaten a lot of fast food and to-go meals.  I have had a rough time getting over this most recent bout of an Upper Respiratory Virus and bronchitis, so cooking was the last thing on my mind. Since I am finally starting to feel better, I wanted to cook something easy so that I didn't over do it, but still something that would taste like a home-cooked meal to get us away from all of the "bad" stuff we have been eating the last few weeks. 

I came across a few different slow cooker chicken tortilla soup recipes on Pinterest, so I decided to to use a little bit of each of them to make my own version and it turned out great. Even my very picky husband said it was really good, so that means it was a hit y'all. 


I didn't bust out my good camera, or take pics during the process because, honestly I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. So I hope my finished product photo will inspire you to at least try it! 

Ingredients:

1 14 oz can of Chicken Stock
1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can of black beans
1 can of whole kernel corn
1 4-7 oz can of green chiles
1 can of enchilada sauce
1-2 lbs of chicken breasts or tenders 
1 tsp of salt
1 tbsp of garlic powder
1/4 cup of diced onions


Toppings:

Sour Cream
Mexican Blend shredded cheese
Tortilla Strips
Shredded fresh cilantro 

Combine all ingredients in the crock pot. Cook on low for 5-6 hours, stirring occasionally. Once chicken is done, use fork to shred chicken in soup. Top with suggested toppings and enjoy! 

This recipe is seriously effortless and so easy! It is great for lazy Sunday's or  busy days during the week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment